Monday, December 12, 2011

Hedrick Middle School 12/12/2011


Teaching my favorite subject social studies is an awesome task. I decided that today my stress was going to be on learning. Whether the students talked or got up from their desk at random times, was not the issue. Normally I'm very regimented. Do this, do that, you must do this, you must do that. Today was different. Every time I wanted to focus on managing the classroom better I just thought to myself...If their learning then there on the right track. With that underlying philosophy I experienced new ideas that I had not previously. Normally I walk in and walk out unchanged. Today was different. I learned an immense amount about public speaking. 1 - Know your material, 2 - use humor, 3 - use personal stories and conversational language, 4 - practice, 5 - when delivering speech take moments of pause and breath, 6 - know your audience and speak accordingly, 7 - relax and turn that nervous energy into enthusiasm, 8 - do not apologize during a speech, 9 - use your visual aids and know the room your speaking in well, 10 - greet your audience when they walk in the door and engage your audience as much as possible. That is ten criteria that I learned today. I would be joyful if the students learned ten as well.

A great day can be ever day as long as I hope and prepare for it. Tomorrow begins a new job at Griffin Creek for 4 days. I'm excited, hopefully i can turn those nerves into enthusiasm.

--Mr. Belzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment