Monday, January 30, 2012

Griffin Creek Elementary 1/30/2012


ELL teaching today. Mi nombre es Mr. Belzberg. Yo tengo un mascota. Me gusta jugar al futbol con mis amigos. My introduction was in Spanish and anything else I could think of was also in that language. The students enjoyed my attempt at speaking their language and I might have learned more than the students today. With that said, many of the students I taught today were really engaged and seemed to really internalize many of the lessons in the book and from me.

Teaching is a challenge, but adding a language barrier causes there to be an extra challenge. Now most would say that this would inhibit the outcome of effectiveness. However, I disagree. The more the cognitive functions are engaged, the higher efficiency of learning occurs. The more integration that takes place the better. More connections and if they can be meaningful. The knowledge will be shared and reproduced, which is the goal.

If I put out my best effort then there really isn't much I can be upset or complain about. Everyday should be a full effort and to give whatever I can. This will never quite be enough, but it will have to do and some way some how this will impact many students to go on and be success stories.

--Mr. Belzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment