Monday, March 12, 2012

Griffin Creek Elementary 3/12/2012


Total Time: 8 hours
Thrid Grade

I took home all the work the students did last week and graded all of it except for the comprehension test. I couldn’t find the answer key so I was unable to get that done. Many students are not turning much in. I’m concerned and want to change that. I’m hoping to get much more work turned in this week and the following week. I will have a print out of all the assignments with the grades and percent’s for the teacher when she return.

Today:
A great morning. We started the day discussing turning in work and how excited I was to see them all again. We did number corner and have done a great job keeping up with that. Reading went very well today. Each group rotated and I was unable to finish the level readers with both groups. I found the decodable and will have an extra assignment for that group on Wednesday. Reading aloud was excellent and math has been up and down. I’m only on session 8 and trying to keep up has been a challenge. I will continue to work through each session and try to get the students to learn deeper rather than shallow. I don’t want the teacher to come back and have to reteach, I’m hoping that the teacher will be able to move forward when she gets back. Library was fine and Junior achievement went great. We did science this afternoon and that was enjoyable. Great day.

A couple tantrums were thrown by male student today during reading and a staff member wrote him a referral. I was planning on doing it as well and I think it was the best course of action. He has been crying and throwing tantrums much more than any student his age should. He seems to not like having consequences for his misbehavior, which is the result of any misbehavior. I will continue to work him and I’m planning on calling his parents tonight.

No major issues other than that.

I’m looking forward to another week and really like the story this week. Hope all is well with the teacher I'm covering for and that she is feeling better and improving each day.

Thanks,
Michael Belzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment