Thursday, February 23, 2012

Griffin Creek Elementary 2/23/2012

I apoligize up front for the fact that the last two posts have been very short. Limited time...

Today I taught at griffin creek and the students began to get to know me a little more. I was very pleased with the students desire to get to know me and learn from me. Although I found the more they learned the more comfortable they began to get with me. This tends to lead to more disrespectful behavior which I do not ever want. A teacher must be a jerk in order to raise test scores...bull shi....I think there is a way to love them and teach them at the same time. Does fire and brimstone work...perhaps... do optimism and concentration on tasks make for higher test scores...perhaps.

What is at the key of learning...fun, knowledge construction...what is it? And why is it so hard to figure a panacea for it?

Today was the first day I have ever eaten lunch with the students. They were in there reading and I was very pleased with there ability to communicate and hang out. I was able to meet a few of them and they were great. Its to bad I wasn't able to eat lunch with them everyday and really get to know them and build lasting positive impacts on them.

School can be fun if the teacher, staff, and peers are nice and encourage learning. Meanwhile school can be the worst place a 4th grader knows in the whole world if the people around them don't love and encourage the best learning and behavior.

Another day another step in what will hopefully become a long long career...

--Mr. Belzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment