Thursday, February 9, 2012

McLoughlin Middle School 2/9/2012


Teaching Algebra and Pre-Algebra. Very different then teaching about the Cold War or the Civil Rights Movement. I found it refreshing and I enjoyed it. The content is so simple and right or wrong. I always really liked doing math and solving problems in any subject. The only problem is many students don't find the content very interesting so its a challenge to motivate them.

Today we were doing problems dealing with slope-intercept form and equations that look liked 2x+16=6x-12. Very easy compared to calculus, but very hard for beginning variable learners.

The most humorous event happened today, I was telling a student to re focus and get back on track when out of my mouth flew a chunk of saliva and it landed right on his cheek. He was very upset and I told him that I would give him a jolly rancher if he called even. He accepted and even though it was super funny, I felt terrible about it. Days of teaching can be so simply funny. Its like a gross thing, but he might remember me as the sub who gleeked on him.

The Alegbra class was like an honors class. Very easy and focused. I thought it was terribly different. The class was on track and focused. Getting their attention was easy and it felt like easy living. The other classes with all the trouble makers were a challenge. They talk and talk and hate to give their attention. Its all part of growing up and even the gods remember their youthful days of rebellion.

I was very happy with the day and I always enjoy teaching more and more. Remembering how bad some people have it in the world really makes me appreciate how grateful I'm to be doing what I'm doing.

--Mr. Belzberg

1 comment:

  1. Such a great and humorous story. In teaching there is never a dull moment. I'm so glad you are doing what you love, you will make a huge difference in some child's life.

    ReplyDelete