Monday, February 13, 2012

Hedrick Middle School 2/13/2012

my first time teaching a full day of choir. However defining teaching is a hard term. Did the students at Hedrick learn much. Possibly, did the students learn much at washington....perhaps. the students in the morning played keyboard for me and seemed to have fun. One fact I found was if the students are loud and wild. To me this means they are having fun. The best learning happens when students are having fun. Not my favorite, but its about their learning and thus the balance between what I can handle and how much fun they can have with upholding respect.

The three classes were great. One aspect I noticed was the two teachers that had control of their students were very well behaved in the choir class. The one teacher who was dis~organized, her students were the least well behaved. She forgot to even pick them up when it was time. A great classroom needs a great teacher. Set the bar high and continue to meet it yourself and the young ones will follow.

The junior high was not as much hands on, just monitor while the students watched a video. It was great that many of the students left to go and sing valen tunes to their classmates. The more singing the better in my opinion. If I walk into a social studies class the more history and geography I can teach them about the better for them.

After all, the best teachers make the focus about the students...student centered.

--Mr. Belzberg

No comments:

Post a Comment